Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Reflections from the LSPS Intensive

I am spending a week in Austin at the Lutheran Seminary Program of the Southwest for the third annual Spanish Language and Hispanic Ministry Intensive. I want to capture some reflections along the way - I hope to engage this on a daily basis throughout the week.

I have no intention of these reflections being completely fleshed out. I want to articulate the ideas as they arrive. Hopefully this is a Bartimaeus Effect type experience - having my life opened up to new possibilities through an encounter with Jesus. I believe that it will be.

As some background, I have experience attempting to learn Spanish - about 7 years trying to learn Spanish between high school and college. This language is not new to me. I grew up in Texas. I picked up some Texan/Spanish slang and culture throughout the course of me life. I did not come into this experience cold on the language/culture front.

My initial thoughts - I came to this program with the intention of jump-starting and remembering what Spanish I know is buried in my brain. I want to learn more about the diverse and beautiful Hispanic culture. I am doing this out of a desire to deepen the reach of my ability to minister to all of God’s children. I come to this program with the hope of one day helping a faith community expand their reach in a community.

Monday, May 26, 2014

Today we worked through a number of the basics when it comes to learning Spanish.

The alphabet (I still remembered most of the song that my Spanish teacher taught me in 7th grade!). Pronunciation. Diphthongs. Words that don't follow the rules. Syntax. Some vocabulary - but specific to a church setting. Overall - basics to learning any language. 


These things did not catch me off guard.

We used the language in liturgical settings. We prayed in Spanish. We learned to sing the Lord’s Prayer in Spanish. We read a portion of Acts chapter 2 in Spanish. 


These things did not catch me off guard either.

What caught me off guard was the process. The mindset of the learning environment. And the corresponding feelings and thoughts that popped up in my experience of this day.

First off - and again, these are pretty raw reflections - the learning environment was very sterile. It was clean and safe. We used the word "kindergarten" to express the method and mindset of the room and learning process. The professor was wonderful, supportive, and genuine. All of the things you want in a teacher leading you into uncomfortable space. I want to be clear that none of these aspects of my day are negative.

These things used to not catch my attention. But today I began to realize a different aspect of learning a language and a culture.

My reasons for this experience come from a place of privilege. I want to learn another language to gain the ability to potentially help someone who is not like me. I get the opportunity to learn this language in a safe space. I will get the opportunity this week to experience and learn about another culture from the comfort of a classroom. I have paid money for this opportunity. I have the time and resources at my disposal to engage in this opportunity.

Because of my privilege - I will not go through this intensive with the fear of deportation. I do not have to try and navigate a different language or a dominant culture out of fear or embarrassment or shame. I do not have to worry about needing this new language to fill out government documents if presented with the opportunity. I do not have to engage a new language or culture with the fear of being harassed or mistreated or physically harmed by the dominant group. My income or well-being is not based on how well I can use the new language or navigate the new culture. 

These thoughts struck me early on in the morning. I wrestled with them throughout the day. I am still contemplating them this evening.

My privilege as a heterosexual, white, educated, male, directly effects my experience of learning a new language and culture. I get to do it by choice.

As a follower of Jesus Christ - as one whose life has been dramatically changed by the love of God, the work of the cross, and the call of Jesus - I have the choice to engage the world as an advocate for those who do not have my privilege. I have been set free from the process of saving myself so that I can engage life in the effort to work for the needs of others. Part of this advocacy is learning a new language and culture.



On to Tuesday.

La Paz de Cristo,
Travis 


Tuesday's Reflection - "Learning Accents and God's Rhythm"

1 comment:

  1. Muchas gracias for your reflections, Travis. You are learning to cross borders and boundaries in a safe environment and we are walking with you in el camino de Jesus, with the solidarity of the Spirit who makes us "familia!" Jay Alanis

    ReplyDelete