Friday, January 31, 2014

Theology on Tap - The Revelation of God

Greetings.  Here are the notes from the second round of Theology on Tap. 

How is God revealed to us?

Paul Althaus writes that “Theology is concerned with the knowledge of God and of man (humanity).”  This continues our conversation from the first gathering and is a summary of our theological journey together.

A foundational thinking from Luther articulates this idea; “God can be properly known only in terms of God’s relationship to humanity; and humanity can be properly known only in terms of their relationship to God.”  

(I cleaned up the language of the original quote to make it more inclusive.)

This relationship is grounded in our understanding of creation.  God created us to be in a relationship with God. 

Paul writes in his letter to the Romans (1:20); 

“Ever since the creation of the world God’s eternal power and divine nature, invisible through they are, have been understood and seen through the things God has made.”

The first creation story in Genesis points to this reality:

“God created humanity in God’s own image, 
in the divine image God created them.”
Genesis 1:27 (Common English Bible)

We are made in the image of God.  This image can be understood as creative, nurturing, sustaining, and loving - all the aspects of God we encounter in Genesis 1 and 2. 

This is the beginning of our knowledge of God.

Luther articulates two ways to understand God: 

General and Proper knowledge.

General knowledge:  Knows what God is - created the world, is righteous, and judges - but lacks the certainty about what God thinks about us, and God’s intention to save us sinners.   This is the Law - God’s “left hand.”

Proper knowledge:  Knows what God thinks of us - God’s intention to give to and save us sinners.  

Gospel - God’s “right hand.”  
(Luther’s commentary on Galatians, Luther’s Works, American Edition, pg. 399)

Luther:
- “Legal knowledge knows God’s left hand, evangelical knowledge know’s God’s right hand.” 
“In order to really know God one must hold on to God’s right hand.”

This is how we know what God thinks of us and what God’s intentions are - to give to and to save us from our sins!
Here I am summarizing what Luther articulates in various parts of his works.  Exact citations are absent. 

The God we know through the law shows us God’s backside - Exodus 33:18-23 (CEB)

“Moses said, “Please show me your glory.”  And he said, “I will make all my goodness pass before you and will proclaim before you my name ‘The Lord.’ And I will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will show mercy on whom I will show mercy.  But,” he said, “you cannot see my face, for man shall not see me and live.”  And the Lord said, “Behold, there is a place by me where you shall stand on the rock, and while my glory passes by I will put you in a cleft of the rock, and I will cover you with my hand until I have passed by.  Then I will take away my hand, and you shall see my back, but my face shall not be seen.”

Through Christ “we look into the face of God.”  John 3:16

“For God so loved the world, that God gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.”

We cannot handle or comprehend God’s majesty and glory directly.  Therefore, as Luther would say, God comes to us in a mask, hidden by “fog and shadows.”  What we truly can see and encounter about God comes through Christ.  Through Christ God concretizes, humanizes, and incarnates for us.

The important understanding throughout this conversation is that God manifests God’s self at God’s will.  We do not get to call the shots.  God’s revelation is always chosen by God and on God’s terms.  We do not make the rules.  This is a reminder of our humanity and keeps us humble.

Symbols are a way for us to discuss and get close to God.  Paul Tillich states that anything we say about God is symbolic. 

In the Jewish tradition, the name of God was not spoken or written out of respect.  To say or write a name is to claim authority about that person or thing.  Saying God’s name is saying we know God - which we do not fully know God.  The name of God can be translated as “I am who I am, I was who I was, I will be who I will be.” 

Language is key!  Through our language we shape our imagination.  Through our language we shape how we encounter the world, each other, and creation. 

God’s revelation is sometimes indirect.  1 Kings 19:1-15 - God is in the silence, not in the storm or earthquake.  Luther would say that God’s “revelation is under it’s opposite.”  We who follow Jesus look to the manger and the cross - places where we would not expect God to be.  We are called to pay attention to that which may surprise us - where we least expect to encounter God.

Luke 24:13-35 - On the Road to Emmaus
Jesus appears to the disciples in the breaking of the bread. 

This is sacramental in nature.  Through Baptism and the Lord's Supper.  God comes to us in ordinary things: Words, Water, Bread and Wine.  All of these are attached to a promise from God.  

Again: God’s revelation is on God’s terms.  In the sacraments God promises to be there and we trust that promise.

Next we will take a deeper look at God’s self-revelation - Jesus the Christ.

Peace and blessings,
Travis

1 comment: