Saturday, January 25, 2014

Theology on Tap - Let Me Raise A Toast

We have started a monthly gathering through my congregation here in Fredericksburg, Texas. 
 

Every month, on a Thursday evening, we meet at a local restaurant/pub and we talk about God.

This event is inspired by the famous table talks of Martin Luther.  In the 55 volume English translation of Luther’s works, volume 54 is dedicated to the table talks.  Luther was a professor at the University of Wittenberg and at some point in his career, he and his wife Katie would host poor college students in their home for dinner and beer.  The conversations were so meaningful/inspiring/ridiculous that the students began recording the conversations and specific quotes/stories from Luther.  What we have in these table talks is an intimate look into daily life of Luther, the politics of his time, and theological nuggets that never made it into sermons or lectures.     

Theology on Tap is also inspired by what I have seen happen in other communities I have encountered in my own journey - namely the Theology on Tap gathering that has flourished through the campus ministry group of Texas A&M and Blinn and my own experience of gathering with friends at the bar (that we dubbed St. Jimmy’s) while in seminary. 

We have met three times so far, beginning in November, with the last two meetings being challenged by the weather and holiday gatherings. 

As we move into February we will begin meeting twice a month, on the first and third Thursdays at 7pm.  We will have the same topic at each monthly gathering. 

In an effort to develop a starting point for our conversation, I have decided to blog my notes from each gathering - the thoughts that I put together that serve as a catalyst for our conversations.  My hope in posting these notes is that folks will be able to return to the foundations of each one of our gatherings as we continue on our theological journey and build a common language with which to talk about God.  These posts will also serve those who enter the conversation at various times so that anyone can go back and have a glimpse of where we have been in our talks.  

I want to stress that these are notes only.  I will do my best to site quotes and authors - but some of these thoughts come from the pages of my own notes from seminary and lack citations.    

Thanks for being a part of the journey. 

I look forward to this conversation growing in the future as we continue to follow Jesus and find out what he is up to in our world. 

Peace, 


Travis

No comments:

Post a Comment